View Single Post
Old 05-05-2005, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I would like to beg to differ, and say that it is possible to be involved in SAI, APO, a social sorority, be a double-major premed, and hold a job. I am extremely active in my sorority (I'm VP Intellect) and with Panhellenic stuff, and I'll be a Rho Gamma (or what every your campus calls them) next year.. I'm president of Order of Omega. I have held a leadership position in APO (secretary). I have been involved with other professional organizations on campus (I'll be treasurer of ACS in the fall). I am in several honorary organizations (Sigma Zeta, Alpha Epsilon Delta, Alpha Lambda Delta, Phi Kappa Phi). I am a double major- music and chemistry- as well as being premed. Usually I work 2 jobs, totaling around 15 hours a week (because I'm not work study, I can't get an on-campus job that I can work more than 7 hours a week at). Do I have to make choices? Sure. Does that mean that I am any less dedicated or any less of a sister to my sorority? No. The only semester I have not been around for as much was during the semester I took the MCAT. That semester, I was the girl who did the bare minimum. However, the only reason was because I was taking the MCAT (which I personally feel is a good reason because the best way to describe going through that is that it was hell and I'm so thankful that I had my sisters there to support me and understand what I was trying to do), not because I had overextended myself.

I feel like I'm bragging about the stuff I do, which isn't the point. The point is that it can be done. I went through formal recruitment as a sophomore, while being involved in almost all of these organizations. On my campus, girls who are involved are generally the ones who are the "most wanted." I got a bid to my first choice. Regardless, instead of saying that it can't be done at all, we need to make sure this PNM is aware of realities on certain campuses.

ps. congrats to xomichelle for her acceptance and decision on med school!