View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, as long as this thread is already derailed, and we're kind of talking about how adult these kids are and where to draw the line let me just say...it isn't always the parent...sometimes the school seems equally confused about the lines separating young adults from adults and I offer an ironic little tale as a case in point.

My daughter's first school sent us an email asking if we wanted to be contacted in case of a school-wide emergency. We assumed this meant a Virginia-Tech type of situation or a serious threat, so we signed on stating we would like to be notified.

November rolls around and we get an emergency email from them. We go into panic mode wondering what the heck has happened. What's the emergency? Lots of snow. They've cancelled school. Gee, thanks. Good to know. We'll be racing right on up there to.....yeah, I don't even know what they thought we were going to do or why we needed to know this .

This same school would NOT give us one iota of financial or health information on her (not that we asked on the latter) even though we filled out all of the finacial aide paperwork, we provided all of her health insurance, and we paid all of the bills unless we had written consent from her.

So apparently our 18 year old daughter was adult enough to handle some rather complicated financial aide and family health insurance issues, but wouldn't know what to do with a snow day? Okay.