Thread: Rock Bottom?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Well we're talking past each other, then. I don't conceive of rituals and traditions as being risky at all. As a founder of my chapter, we actually had the forethought to build in some deeply rooted traditions where hazing and alcohol wouldn't fit in whatsoever. So when I think of "events," I think of parties. My alma mater only recently allowed alcohol to return to campus. To have alcohol at any formal event, however, requires safeguards which are so prohibitively costly that we may only have one such event each year.

That obviously doesn't mean that our collegians only drink once per year.

In the current climate, any sort of organized fraternity party not registered with the school will bring down sanctions. It will impact our FIPG insurance rating. It will require our undergrads to attend compulsory classes. What has happened is that there is now an environment where ANY safety precautions taken will be treated as the chapter organizing the event. So when undergrad members and their associates have informal get-togethers at private residences, they can't maintain a guest list. They can't hire security. They can't hire a cash bar. They can't pool resources to purchase anything. They can't hire a cash bar. We have a system of perverse incentives.

I'm sure the incentives are just as perverse on other campuses--and even moreso. Removing hard liquor from chapter houses will probably not save a single life. In fact, it'll remove the consumption of hard liquor to private residences, and likely will lead to more members driving impaired to return to their chapter facilities.. but we aren't liable for anything that happens when a member chooses to drink and drive, so why should we care?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma