View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCat25 View Post
With transferring increasingly common and many local chapters refusing to allow same sorority transfer students to affiliate this rule is way past its sell date. I support it in the same college case but not where the tranfer is to another university and the local chapter refuses to allow affiliation. I can't see who is harmed other than the transfer student who is cut out of greek life at their new school entirely. Just because it is a rule doesn't make it right.
I don't see the great harm in leaving these ladies on alumna status. For KD, a transfer student on alumna status has all the rights of an alumna. She can attend chapter and participate in recruitment as an alumna. She can attend any of the events the local alumnae are invited to -- Homecoming, philanthropy events, chapter dinners, etc.

If a transfer isn't accepted for affiliation, it's often because the chapter is at quota or close to it, and they'd like to fill the available spots with freshmen. It doesn't mean that the transfer isn't welcome. If she suits up, shows up, and volunteers to help out, she'll make friends and be included in the chapter's social life.