View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Typing from my phone so apologies if it's wonky, but just got this email entitled "Changes to Legacy Considerations." I'm just going to quote the most relevant portion.

"Today, we write with an important update which we felt you need to be aware. Pi Beta Phi is providing chapters flexibility as to how they implement our legacy policy. (Potential New Members whose sister, mother or grandmother is an initiated member of Pi Beta Phi is defined as a legacy).

The Pi Beta Phi Constitution and Statutes states “special consideration shall be given to legacies whose qualifications are comparable to those of other Potential New Members (PNMs).” Chapter Bylaws dictate how that special consideration is applied.

Historically, legacies participating in primary recruitment have received the following courtesies:
an invitation to the first invitational round, and if attending the Preference round, the legacy is placed at the top of the chapter’s Bid List.

After much conversation and discussion, Grand Council has decided chapters will be allowed to choose from three legacy courtesy options for the 2020-2021 academic year. Allowing chapters a choice provides the Fraternity opportunity to collect relevant information to shape future policy. These options are as follows:

1. Follow existing legacy procedures. These chapters will invite all legacies to the first invitational round and if invited to Preference, legacies will be placed at the top of the bid list.
2. Eliminate the top of the bid list courtesy but keep the first-round invitation courtesy. These chapters will invite legacies to the first invitational round.
3. Eliminate the top of the bid list courtesy and the first-round invitation courtesy. These chapters will consider legacies just as they consider any other PNM for membership. These chapters will meet the requirements of the Constitution and Statutes special consideration by identifying all legacies for members of the chapter prior to the start of recruitment.

Today, chapter officers and Alumnae Advisory Committee (AAC) members were made aware of these options and how to begin the effort of exploring what is best for their chapter. It is imperative we support our collegiate sisters and do not place pressure on a chapter to select one option over another."

Personally, I would have loved to see an "eliminate the first round courtesy invite and keep the top of the bid list" option, but I am overall thankful that the opinion of collegiate members is being asked for. I'm an alumna, so will continue to follow with interest!

Last edited by Leora; 07-30-2020 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Tried to get rid of the weird stars.