View Single Post
Old 07-25-2020, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Alum View Post
A very general example of why legacies might not be required to be at the top of the two bid lists.
1500 PNMs
100 on first bid list are legacies.
101- 200 are also legacies at the top of the second bid list.
201-1500 are also on second list.
Some legacies had graciously indicated they found their home elsewhere but legacy at the top of the first and if necessary second bid list had dictated this placement.
201 was the first available spot for a non legacy.
The chapter might have wanted 201 to 1500 more than 101 to 200 but had to follow legacies at the top of the bid list policy.
I know this doesn't happen everywhere.
As much as it pains me, no special treatment might be better.
This makes absolutely no sense. The bid list only includes the women that attended preference round, which is roughly double quota. The legacies that the chapter has decided are not a match have been dropped well before this point, as have the legacies that decided the chapter wasn't a match for them. In reality, if a chapter has a new member class of 60, you might have 10 that are legacies. Let's say one or two of those would have made the second bid list instead of the first without the legacy status. It is a very small number that this guarantee would actually help. Furthermore, with quota additions the women on the second list are often matched anyway.

I just think what is potentially lost for the sorority, the pnms and their family members over a lifetime is far more damaging than what is potentially gained.