View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bama_Alumna
I don't think I follow, because what you said is this:

The Academic All-American award is sponsored by USA Today and has nothing at all to do with athletics.
The program honors 60 undergraduates as representatives of all outstanding students at the nation's colleges and universities. There are 20 members of the First Team , 20 on the Second Team, and 20 on the Third Team. The criteria for this award is undergraduate students who excel not only in scholarship but also in leadership roles on and off campus. The element given the most weight by the judges is the nominee's outstanding original academic or intellectual product--like research, written work published, etc. Hope this makes more sense!
You're right! We were talking about different things . The ACADEMIC-ALL AMERICANS I was referring to is a NCAA program to honor athletes who have a high gpa and are good scholars but also athletic prowess! (Can someone knowledgeable in sports back me up here and also double check that definition?)

I've heard the award you're talking about referred to simply as the "USA Today First Team" or so forth, so my bad Now if you want to talk academic awards, we should just get down to the Rhodes here . How many of those do y'all have? (I might accepts Marshalls as a back-up! .

No, the one thing I have to add about the SEC is that the boys (generally, except for when they're drunk!) have excellent manners and behave fantastically (like their mamas taught them to! lol). That's the one repeated compliment when people visit me in Mississippi (other than the how the sweet tea or hushpuppies are good).