View Single Post
Old 10-21-2002, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzrose93

I don't agree with that at all, and here's why: If you are brutally honest with a girl who you KNOW is not going to be extended a bid because of a very valid reason, then you will most likely embarrass and offend her. If you offend her, then you increase the likelihood of her causing problems for your organization in the future.

Generally, sororities want girls to have a favorable impression of our organizations -- ALL girls, not just the ones that we invite into our sisterhood. If we are rude to someone, then you can bet that the girl isn't going to leave our house with anything good to say about our GLO in the future. However, if we are polite and treat her nicely while she is a visitor to our rush parties, then we give her no "ammunition" with which to hold a grudge. Sure, she may be very disappointed in not receiving a bid. But that disappointment is nothing compared to the resentment that she would harbor if she was told point blank that she wouldn't be invited to pledge because of her personality, reputation, etc.

Also, something else to consider is that the girl in question may not be a candidate for pledgeship, but that she may have a friend or classmate who is. You certainly don't want her to give anyone else a poor impression of your group because some of those other acquaintances of hers may be ideal candidates for your GLO.
but if you don't accept her, why would she say anything good about it anyway? i'm pretty sure she'll resent you if you've already rejected her. you're already going to burn a bridge, might as well be truthful to yourself as well as to her. if you don't like her, don't prance around like you'll be her friend after you reject her. that's bogus. why would she tell her friends to join if you didnt' even accept her? and you didn't tell her what you didn't like about her, then why would she change for better? she doesn't know her faults. its pointless to roll your eyes and just pretend there isn't a problem, that doesn't solve anything, and it's 2 faced for that matter.