View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Apologies if this isn't the right place to post--but in response to the OP's request to post our successful foundings of local sororities--feel free to add Phi Rho Alpha at the University of Michigan to the list! We were established in 2005 and have just extended bids to 13 wonderful ladies in the Omicron fall pledge class. (We rush every fall and winter, and we intentionally keep numbers a bit smaller so each member doesn't feel lost in a house of 150+ sisters!)

Our website: http://www.phirhoalpha.com

I should also clarify that the biggest difference between us and the other houses, aside from size, is the recruitment process. We had scheduling and course load issues that prevented us from being able to dedicate 3-4 weeks (!) to our university's overly drawn-out fall formal recruitment, and we figured that many other women had this same problem, but still wanted the experience of Greek Life, with the sisterhood and service opportunities. Here, even taking a once-a-week night class (as one of my film-major sisters did) can pretty much shut you out of recruitment, nevermind if you are on an athletic team, in the music school and committed to nighttime rehearsals/performances (as I was), in the Marching Band, etc.