View Single Post
Old 08-26-2001, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TxGirl
legacy cuts

Many chapters have requirements to releasing legacies, one is that they must be released by a certain round. This may have been the reason for such a hard legacy cut. Another reason could be the number of legacies the individual chapter had going through - especially if the number was equal to or greater than quota. Or it could be that the chapters were blind.

In regards to the bid promising your daughter experienced - PLEASE, I beg you, get your daughter to report it. It is the only way to stop it. I have absolutely no respect for a chapter that would do this - even if it were one of my own. I'm glad your daughter was able to see them for what they really were.

For all the women who have not started the recruitment process -this is a great lesson in keeping an open mind. It also should make everyone see that no one person can speak for the entire chapter - SO DON'T BELIEVE THEM if they promise you a bid. Make your choice based on who you want to share your best and worst college moments with; the women you would want to have as bridesmaids; the women you will keep in contact with long after your college days.

Being in a sorority should be about making friends - membership is for life. It should not be about who has the best mixers, the funniest skits or who is considered good on your campus. I should hope that all of you join to find a sisterhood, a home away from home and lifelong friendship.

So, as all the others before me this is my advise - keep an open mind, don't be afraid to go your own way and give all the groups (large and small) a chance.

I now step off of my soap box.