View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCarnation View Post
I'm not sure what my national organization's policy is, but maybe we can agree that we don't necessarily agree with everything our organizations do? Either way, I think we all take our memberships seriously, and while we may not have the same practices as you do, we won't mock your traditions and rituals, so please don't mock us.
Yes, I was a sassy smart ass with my first post, but the responses I received were....mmmmm.... just as smart ass (if not more), and didn't bother to answer any of the questions I posed. I didn't think the questions I asked were terribly hard:

1)Does someone actually take the time to ready the recs that people fratically scramble to obtain? IF NOT, then yes, it's a waste of that person's time, so I hope for all of y'alls sake that somebody is reading each and every damn one of them!

2)If they are actually being read...what's the outcome after reading them? Can someone's bid be denied as a result of that little piece of paper? If these recs are required before being offered a bid.... it would seem to me that some higher power should need to read them BEFORE offering the bid, correct? Which means, that rec would need to be secured (and read by the 'higher power') BEFORE preference.... but maybe I'm overthinking the logistics of this. (Logically speaking, if you have a requirement to have this item, you should have to "do" something with it other than simply file it away to say "we met the requirement by having random words scribbled on a piece of paper.")

3) I'm still having a terribly difficult time understanding how this is not straight up fakery/forgery. If you do not know the person, how do you write a rec? Someone else said "trust your sisters." Okay.... why should a (FAKE RECOMMENDATION!) piece of paper need to be written by some alumna to "prove" that trust on behalf of the collegiate chapter in order to allow them to extend a bid? Why can the collegiate women not vouch for themselves based on what they have learned about that woman over the course of recruitment and their interactions with her leading up to? Why the bureaucratic nonsense?

Instead of getting defensive about the fact that your organization does have this policy, why not think about these questions at face value. What is the REAL purpose? I still don't understand why fake references are a policy other than "just because that's the way it's always been" and none of you have been able to (or are willing to share) one legit reason why.