View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCarnation View Post
OP, my grandparents met while in Greek Life at Ohio State back in the 30s. My grandfather couldn't afford the yearly dues for his fraternity, so he received a scholarship. My grandmother also received a scholarship for her sorority. If it weren't for Greek Life at Ohio State, I probably wouldn't be alive.

I went to "that school up North" and I can tell you that most of my friends paid their own sorority dues by working for them. Yes, many of my friends in my house and other houses were privileged and their parents paid for their dues, but I think it's fair to say that many worked their butts off to pay their own way.

I'm sorry that it's such a disappointment to YOU that your daughter didn't get into the "top" tier house. Sounds like her boyfriend is a jerk and that you should listen to the very helpful advice that you've been given by the women on here who know a lot about recruitment and sorority life. It also sounds like your daughter is smart and has a good head on her shoulders and will be just fine as long as you butt out. We all know and acknowledge that the recruitment process isn't perfect, but it is what it is and she will be fine.
My Grandmother also attended OSU during the depression. However, her father was VP of Sohio (BP Oil), they had a big house in Upper Arlington, and all of her college and sorority dues were paid for..... Yet another person I know whose parents paid their dues.....

And again, I am upset about my daughter being duped and lied to. It seems my expectations were too high that this set of sorority girls would actually follow the Panhellenic rules.