View Single Post
Old 12-10-2003, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just a head's up, ladies... I think you'll start to see markings removed from keys more and more often. I've talked to several dealers who say they were harassed by KotK and as a result they will now be removing all markings before selling the piece. So they're not always doing it to cover up evidence of theft.

If there is nothing to hide, then why remove the information from the back of any badge? When these markings are obviously initials and indicate ownership, then in reality what other reason could they have for removing this information if not to conceal the ownership?

I have never emailed anyone selling any of our badges, although I have been tempted on a few occasions. However, I think the way some ebay listings are now worded (e.g. "Don't email me about the ownership of this pin", etc.) it is obvious that whoever is selling the merchandise knows that it belongs to someone else and really doesn't care.

If they choose not to show the information, that is one thing. However, to remove it entirely is another matter.

I find the whole idea of badge selling offensive. For those sellers who know what the badges are, I find it very distasteful that they do not contact the organization to return the badge as opposed to profiting from it. Perhaps it would be helpful if Greek organizations made an offer to purchase or give rewards for lost or stolen badges. Maybe it would reduce the temptation to sell them if a person's conscience and sense of right and wrong is not enough.