View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
CULater is acting like saying "they service the Latina community" is a bad word. She seems like multiculturalism and integration that has gone horribly wrong.
I have found through GC and offline interactions that LGLO members who are not Latino/a are threatened by the perception that the organization they have chosen to join is restricted to a single "ethnicity." This attitude only serves to reinforce the concerns of older members who are concerned about the future of their organizations.

I've seen this same scenario play out among BGLOs - as well as others of course - but, as you've pointed out, anyone who is qualified and invited may join an organization but he/she shouldn't waste energy trying to change the purpose set out by the founders.

Anyone who joins a sorority needs to understand the history of the organization and the perception of the general public. Those are important factors in determining if a particular organization is what you want to pursue. It is for this reason that you see Black women joining NPCs. Different organizations appeal to different people, regardless of any perceived external connection one may have with a particular organization.

There is no shame in being in a Latina sorority. For heaven's sake, it was the Latino Greek Movement that opened the doors for many other organizations (AGLO, MCGLO, GLBTGLO, etc.) to be founded. Why would you want to detract from that important history?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.