View Single Post
Old 01-09-2002, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

A different perspective...

I think when you're in a majority situation, it's very easy to overlook how a little representation can go a long way toward making a person feel welcome in any situation, be it as a member of a sorority, or a valued customer.

Long story short - I live in a city where Black people are less than 1% of the population. As a result, finding cosmetics that are suitable for darker skins has been a challenge. I sent letters of complaint to the managers of several stores where I shop, and one of the stores went a LONG way toward not only carrying ethnic makeup, but ethnic hair care products- something I'd never even asked for.

Seeing yourself reflected among the majority is a very affirming feeling. You go from feeling completely invisible (and unwelcome) to feeling like you exist, you're welcome, and you're a valuable part of the community. Think of how important Sigma Gamma Rho must have been to the seven sisters at Butler University. They started something that would make them feel at home in unfamiliar territory. I don't think it's that far a leap to suggest that including some representation of the increasing diversity in all of our organizations would have a similar beneficial outcome. I don't think anyone has suggested that Sigma Gamma Rho (or Zeta Phi Beta, for that matter) completely divorce themselves from their history, but what purpose does it serve for us to be as xenophobic as the larger society?