View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Some of this is already worked out. I'm sharing a house with a friend there. Our salaries are about the same, only instead of me paying all the bills (like I do here, now) I'll only be paying half. The bills are equivalent or cheaper than what I am paying now, so I am calculated to actually be paying less in bills after I arrive. As far as a car, I won't need one right away. The school is right on one of the main bus lines that run almost from my front door to the corner of the street near the school. So- perfect!

I plan to take with me as much of my clothes as I can, along with some personal items (laptop, ipad, a few books & DVDs, photos, my diplomas). I am allowed 2 suitcases on the flight, and can pay to bring one extra, so three large suitcases should get me enough stuff to last til Christmas. The rest will be put into my sister's attic, and I'll bring it over with a few suitcases at a time as I need, or whenever my sister comes to visit.

Other things, like my sewing machine, china set and cedar chest, will be given to my niece. A lot of stuff, like my vast set of professional education books, have been donated to the library of the school where I currently teach.

I've visited 2-3 times year for the past 5 years, so I've seen that things cost more. Lunch here is $10, and there it's £10 (which is close to $14), so it does cost more. But we've gone over how much we each make, and how much each person will pay, and so far it looks like it will be a win-win for moth of us!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post
Before you commit, make sure you know what you are getting in to price wise. Moving to a foreign country is very expensive. Are you going to ship your stuff? Sell it all? Put it in storage? In general the cost of living in the UK is much higher than in the US. Will you buy a car here? Car insurance is crazy expensive.

It's an AWESOME adventure, but make sure you know what you are getting into as there is quite a bit of upfront costs.