View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
As detailed as Irishpipes's list is, there are also "immediate recolonizations" (which used to be known as reorganizations) that may not have made the list. I don't think those are done anymore, because they usually don't work well and they create bitter feelings. However, if a chapter had a physical house and they didn't want to lose it, it was probably worth a try.

In those efforts, the current members would all be given alum status (and sometimes an opportunity to be interviewed by the national reps and remain active with the newly reconstituted group), and then nationals would recruit a whole new "clean slate" group of PNMs the next semester. Sigma Kappa did this at Maryland when I was there, and it worked great. That would have been 1984, I think. Both my chapter of initiation (Michigan) did this, and so did Maryland. Both times, the chapters eventually closed for real and they've both sucessfully recolonized after 10-15 year hiatuses. None of these intermediary reorganizations appear in Irishpipe's thread, and I know of 2-3 more with other groups at Michigan that aren't noted either.
I agree with what you said about Michigan. I think the three groups that aren't listed at Michigan are actually very good case studies. One of the groups came back too soon and I think is still trying to find its identity (Iota_JWH, I didn't see your post until after I posted this. I'm referring to AEPhi). I think your chapter is a good example of what you should do when you close for real. It will be interesting to see how Theta handles things.