View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Dear President Trauth,

In 2013, members of the Texas State University drum line were found to be hazing other members. They were arrested and suspended from the band. The band was not suspended. The entire music department was not shut down. The athletic program, with which they are obviously affiliated, was not sanctioned. Those arrested were given due process and paid for their crimes. No one would argue that they did not deserve all the consequences of their bad decisions, but they were the ones who paid the forfeit, and not those innocents who had nothing to do with their transgressions.

Now in 2017 the entire Greek system is being forced to pay for the bad decisions of a few. It is my understanding that an investigation into the tragic death of Matthew Ellis is still ongoing, with many questions left to be answered. Quite rightly, the national organization of Phi Kappa Psi has suspended the chapter. But to hold the entire Greek system, including sororities, responsible for the possibly criminal actions of members of one organization goes against all common sense and violates the rights of those members who are examples of the positive aspects of the Greek system, a system which for over 150 years has enabled men and women to develop into leaders in their communities, providing support and training which results in members who go forth and improve the world around them.

I do not know of a single fraternity or sorority alumnus who does not support holding miscreants responsible. Because we know the great good which can come from membership in a chapter which is living up to its ideals, we bitterly resent being punished and forced to pay, both literally and figuratively, for the sins of another. I fail to see how cancelling the celebration of my chapter's 50th anniversary does anything constructive.

Instead of punitive measures against the innocent, this should be a time for meeting and providing guidance as to how members, both active and alum, can insure that their chapters are living up to the high standards of their organizations. If you truly wish to make a difference, education, mentoring, and upholding standards is the way to do so. We are a three generation Bobcat family. My mother, my daughter, and I are all proud members of the same sorority. I know the many benefits, both personal and community-wide, of a healthy Greek system. Those who besmirch our good name, who break the law and thus heap ignominy on both Greeks and Texas State University should be given no quarter. But this action smacks of falling in line with other universities simply because that's what they are doing - the worst kind of bowing to peer pressure.

I will admit to being somewhat bitter because I know full well that in the past hazing by athletes and non-Greek groups has not resulted in the kind of draconian measures being leveled against us. It would have been wrong to disband an athletic team, or wipe an entire organization out, because of the actions of a few. It's wrong to do so now. However, since we cannot go back and undo what has been done, I call upon President Trauth to respect over 50 years of dedicated service of Greeks to the Texas State community, and conduct her review as quickly as can be done. Punish those who need it, educate those who do not, and enable us to work with our chapters to make sure that no member ever is endangered or treated with anything less than the respect due to every member of the Texas State University family.

Sincerely,
Christine Boyett Barr
1986 Sallie Beretta Outstanding Senior Woman.
What really struck me after reading this whole thing is that they're cancelling your chapter's 50th anniversary celebration. My chapter celebrated our 25th on campus a few years ago, and I can't imagine missing out on that experience because of a fraternity's poor decisions and actions.

@~/~~~~