View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor View Post
Tom,

I don't think it's a matter of 'wanting to be punished' to be a member. It's a matter of if anyone can do it....why would I want to be apart of that?

For example, the Marines never have any problem meeting enlistment expectations because they are known for being the best and the hardest to get into. On the other hand Army/Navy/AF usually struggle to make the minimum because anyone can enlist and make it through.

The aura of selectiveness and difficulty make rushees that only want to be around other's that take pride in their accomplishments pledge that fraternity.
Not to pick on you Coramoor-just easier to quote you than many others.

There seem, after reading saveral postings, some confusion on Military training and military hazing.
Yes, USMC, SEALS, Airbourne, Rangers, Delta et al all have very hard training programs.
Everyone in those programs are not college students, gererally older than raw recuits, are at least double voluntiers, and some have earned multiple patches of the above.

Training is very hard, but generally is not hazing. While hazing does go on in the military, it is against military code of conduct. And it does get enforced. At least three members of a sub crew were just CM for it.

There are several hazing threads here with links in them or just do a search for hazing sites so you can see just what hazing is.

As for the OP, my chapter did not haze so it never came up during rush.

At least two other houses did, and to the best of my recall neither one said anything about it during rush.

Last edited by jon1856; 09-24-2006 at 11:21 PM.