View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Man... I have so many thoughts about this. In general, I DO think we need to make new members more accountable for investing in their organizations from the get-go, and that includes bringing back things that are now considered "hazing" - things like learning way more about the history of our organizations, memorizing/meeting more of the active members, and maybe doing a new member project.

I'm a big believer that people are usually more invested in things that they spend time and energy on, especially if there's a level of difficulty in achieving something.

I'd like our new members to be much more responsible for actually learning about the history of our organizations and Greek life as a whole - including basic information about at least the other organizations on campus. This would include the REAL facts about common Greek myths like the brothel law, and why Alpha Phi is pronounced "FEE" but Gamma Phi is pronounced "FIE".

To dovetail with all of the issues around the increasingly chaotic recruitment process, I have major concerns about our organizations' abilities to properly vet potential new members during such a fast-paced, chaotic process. I'd LOVE to see the new member period truly be an extended process of new members continuing to prove themselves with solid grades, active involvement and commitment, and good general behavior. A longer new member period into the second semester/quarter would facilitate this.

Whew - anyway, I think a longer new member period would also allow the extra requirements to be less intense. I agree that joining a sorority shouldn't be as intense as a class - that would be detrimental to grades, afterall - but there that doesn't mean we can't expect a lot of our new members. If we expect a lot out of our members, then we need to expect a lot of the new members from the get-go.