View Single Post
Old 07-05-2003, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Drinking

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
Momoftwo, I have dealt with this too. My oldest was terrified of feeling like an outcast since she doesn't drink either. Luckily, she hasn't felt like one yet and she's now a college senior.

BlazerCheer doesn't drink either and hopes to find a sorority home where no one will be mean enough to give her grief because she doesn't. We finally decided that she shouldn't bring it up because during rush, members aren't going to admit that they drink or bother people who don't.

One alum told me that she figured out where drinking wasn't a big deal by looking at the various groups' party pictures. That's a good idea--most GLOS' scrapbooks and displays practically advertise how they have fun.

So...about the best my husband and I can do is train our daughters to be tough about resisting peer pressure. Whether or not they go Greek, there will always be other college students who will try to get them to drink.
Thanks for the advice, and the personal experience.

I think concern over fitting in is my daughter's biggest fear about going away to school. We moved when she was in fourth grade and she was miserable for almost a year until she clicked with some girls who are still her close friends. She was kind of shy in unfamiliar situations--and is pretty bright--so her new classmates thought she was "stuck up" about being smart. She's really a very down to earth person. Fourth and fifth graders are so kind and understanding! It's funny how those painful moments of our lives come back...

I keep telling her to be herself and she'll be fine. Thanks for confirming that for me!