View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I watched Paige Mills' experience, and thought she seemed mature in the way she presented things in the recruitment video. It was nice that she tried to keep things vague and positive overall. It did seem that she ended up at a house that was one of her top choices throughout recruitment, so it may have turned out differently if that did not happen.

As far as staying at the Biddle Hotel--from watching a couple of her other videos, recruitment week isn't the only time she has stayed at the hotel. There was another video in which commenters were commenting about it and asking why she would stay in a hotel when she has a single on campus. But it's kind of not anyone's business how she or her family spends their money. If that's what they want to do, it's up to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abm91 View Post
...I worry that even though she knows it’s all trash talk, deep down she worries that some part of it may be true.
Her experience is what is true. If she is meeting nice, kind girls who she wants to hang out with, she needs to hold on to that. Anyone can say anything about anyone else, but that doesn't mean that it's true.

I get that a lot of girls initially join sororities for the social scene, and there are certainly issues with the Greek Life social scene at IU, namely everything that has been said about pairs/quads already. However, the other truth is that if you're in Greek Life for the social scene, you are much more likely to disaffiliate once you turn 21 and can go out to bars.

What keeps people strong in their sisterhood are the bonds that they have made with other members. As long as your daughter is doing that, she will be fine. If she is not feeling like she is doing that, encourage her to go to more events, reach out to sisters, invite them to go out and do social things, etc. Friendships are made through experiencing things together, and just because it doesn't come instantly doesn't mean that it's not going to come. I myself felt pretty awkward on my Bid Day.