Thread: DNA Tests
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

1964Alum,

Interesting! What has been a problem for us is that Polish last names are often spelled incorrectly in many records, ship manifests, etc. Just a couple of days ago, I got a small break in the case when I found the funeral mass card of a great-aunt (one of my grandmother's sisters that I didn't know about). When I added it to the family tree, Ancestry.com started pulling up old U.S. census records matching her married name. Apparently she and her husband were still living with her folks (my great-grandparents). Those census records were showing with my grandmother's maiden name spelled incorrectly. The only reason I found those records is because my great-aunt and her husband were in the household (with their names spelled correctly). Similarly, Polish people often changed their first names to something more American. So, right now, I'm stuck on trying to find information on a great-grandfather Wojciech who apparently also went by "Albert" or "George".

Hopefully you'll catch a break and find something that links you to the big clue you needed!

True and Constant