View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLynne97 View Post
Hi there! My name's Jess. I am someone who disaffiliated from a sorority as the organization was not what I thought it was. I am looking to create a new local sorority in my area as I joining this forum in order to find out more about how to do so.
The universities in my areas do not recognize sororities or fraternities so I need to figure out how to start one without the help of student advisors. We are also not looking to be affiliated nationally or internationally as that would make dues astronomical.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions <3
(The girls and I have already written up our constitution, bylaws, decided on dues, finalized rituals, etc. We're just wondering if there are any more forms we need to write up, if we need to be recognized by the province, etc.)
Thanks for your help!
-Jess
Just an FYI: being part of a national/international fraternity or sorority does not automatically = astronomically high dues. It really depends on the campus, events in which Greeks regularly participate, recruitment type and number of potential members, and housing.

If there is no Greek life currently on your campus, I imagine your dues would not be high at all. You would not have a house and recruitment wouldn't be formal with elaborate parties.

I attended a smaller campus with a handful of Greek chapters of national organizations, generally ranging in size from 10-40 members. None of the sororities had houses, and my dues were regularly between $150-$200 a semester (and were $300 only the semester I pledged, but that included the initiation fee, my badge, and a lettered jersey).

For a semester, that comes to about $10-15 a week. And for me that was worth it when I considered that dues included insurance coverage, major programming, and lifelong networking opportunities through the national organization.

Also, please be aware of the fact that in this day and age, many campuses that are just starting Greek life tend to lean toward having chapters of national organizations due to liability issues and increased oversight.

Just some things for you to consider!

@~/~~~~