View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

In my experience as a Californian in a LGLO, I think the whole "rivalry" thing between the orgs is less intense than what I hear goes on in the NE. With the exception of a few campuses, you will see maybe 3-4 LGLOs max at one institution (with a few multicultural-founded orgs in the mix, as knight_shadow mentioned). When orgs. join together for service or social functions, the "usual suspects" often team up (meaning, those with historical ties), or sometimes collaboration happens simply because several members of one sorority are dating members of one fraternity (but this is the case for many GLOs).

In terms of "culture," I believe that the west-coast founded orgs. have more of an underground process than the east-coast founded orgs. You generally will never see a west-coast founded org. marching, etc. (in my opinion, due to the low tolerance that many CA institutions have for pledging in the first place). I see this need for some of the east-coast sororities to have their pledges "look hard" at all times--with no make-up, hair back, hoodies on, baggy clothing. I have never seen this with west-coast and Texas-founded Latina sororities (a "polished" or more feminine look for pledges seems to be preferred). Also, the whole "coming out" or "probate" activity was non-existent in CA until some of the east-coast founded orgs established themselves here.

There is certainly a difference in demographics--you will find more Chicanos/as and Mexicanos/as in west-coast founded LGLOs than you will in the NE founded orgs, and this can impact programming and traditions in various ways.