View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestedGirl View Post
Hello! I'm a long-time lurker on the site and have read all of the recruitment advice regarding being yourself, being open-minded, and being honest, and I couldn't agree with all of that more (why would I want to join a group that doesn't love and accept me for me?).

But just out of curiosity, can you ever be too open and honest? For example, I am absolutely in love with a specific sorority and I plan to attend their informal recruitment event soon. I have also done a lot of personal research on the sorority (it just seemed natural to do before making a potentially life-long commitment like this).
Would it seem weird or inappropriate to mention these facts to the sisters during recruitment? I'm not really sure what to say because I want to show them that I am very interested and ask them questions, but I already know about their philanthropy, values, etc.

And on a complete side-note, what do you all consider to be dressing "casually" as far as recruitment goes? I was planning to wear a nice, but simple top, jeans (no tears or anything), and some nice flats...is that too simple? I wear that outfit all of the time (to class, hanging out, etc.) and didn't know if casual meant something different during recruitment times.

Thanks in advance!
Hey! I PMed you

My opinion is that if someone talked to me about my sorority's history/facts, I would be flattered, but at the same time a little concerned that you might not be keeping your options open to any other sorority that is doing informal recruitment. It kind of rings, I want to be a XYZ and nothing else! I wouldn't bring up any facts about the sorority. Especially, if you did not go through formal recruitment, this is your first time meeting them. Get to know as many members as possible, try to leave open-ended answers, and be a good listener. You can learn everything about their philanthropy, facts, symbols, but that won't get you a bid -- getting to know the members that make up the chapter is the key.