View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Just a thought as a non Chi-O Arkansas Resident (and I love all my panhellenic Chi-O sisters!), yes Chi Omega at the University of Arkansas is very strong and since it was founded at Arkansas and there are 3 Chi Omega chapters in Arkansas (all still active) there are LOTS of Chi Omega sisters living in all parts of the state. All the Chi Omegas I know are all classy and wonderful women. And yes, when someone says they are a member of Chi Omega in Arkansas (and specifically Psi chapter - UA) there is a level of respect as the 1979 article says.

However, I would say that it is 33 years later, and while Chi Omega is still lovely at UA - there are other houses on that campus that are FANTASTIC too! Ones that have been awarded the "top chapter" award by their perspective sororities, or have been there for over 100 years, or are newer chapters who do amazing things. I would also say that respect is earned, and not just given. In post-college life, I think it means a whole lot more what you are doing now (in regards to getting a job, being involved in community philanthropy/service organizations (jr. league/etc), etc) than what sorority you joined in college. The "aw" factor goes away pretty quickly if you don't have anything to back it up with.