View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 04:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
I think the issue here is in the United States: allegedly, we do have the "right to free association" as a Constitutional Bill of Right for all citizens... As I understand it, the E.U. has confirmed those rights as covenants and then added more.
*lol* Sure, we do have this right as well.

But there are rumours (and in one case proofs) that some fraternities (I guess only "Burschenschaften") are watched by the federal office for the protection of the constitution.
Danubia Munich has been watched by this authority after they allowed a friend to stay at their house without knowing that he had just murdered someone.

Quote:
I think several entities after the WWII did not want the German citizens to EVER form any groups of change among the "educated" again.
Thatīs right. The other reason was that many frat brothers died in the war and not every fraternity had the chance to reopen.

Quote:
In the US, although the government legally cannot control who people associated with, they do require registration of large sums of money to be justified by a IRS federal taxes, such as 501c7 and 501c3 codes. And if one does not want their information, such as design of any insignia stolen, they must incorporate it through the Federal IRS and State Tax system. If events occur that block free access to locations, groups will get arrested for that without appropriate permits.
Fraternities or sororities do not have to register in Germany. Some register as a club to have a better controll on their money, but there is no control by the government.
The last sentence, we do have that as well

Quote:
As far a dress, folks can wear whatever they want to, as long as it is not indecent exposure for the given weather climate and location. Although in the 1990's somewhere in the Northern California there was the "naked man"... And we also have the "homeless" bums that wear whatever...
Could you please explain the naked man and the homeless thing? I am not sure if I understood.

In German fraternities and sororities you are in general free to wear what you want. But for some occasions it is binding to wear a suit (or similar for the ladies). Besides this, most fraternities/sororities do wear a ribbon with their colours from the right shoulder to the left hip. Full members wear a ribbon with all three colours, new members usually have a ribbon with only 2 colours.
We also wear caps (e.g. http://www.maeser-couleur.de/bilder/klein_12_1.jpg) and a so-called "Zipfelbund" (http://www.wingolf.org/rostock/couleur/zipfel.jpg). By the way, it is a very nice tradition to exchange/dedicade a "Zipfel" to a good friend or someone you were fencing with.