Thread: DNA Tests
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I did the Ancestry DNA test earlier this year and was pleased with the results. I already knew that both sides of my family were from Poland; but, I wanted to check to see if perhaps there was anything else that might show up and surprise us. I had heard a family rumor that my great-grandfather was a German orphan that was taken in by a Polish family. Though, I now believe that is not true or the story was for one of his brothers or something like that.

At any rate, there were no surprises. My DNA came back 98% Eastern European. LOL! The other 2% registered as Europe West, Great Britain and Ireland. In reading the [scientific] explanations on their website, it's possible that the 2% of Great Britain could be a random quirk of the DNA testing process as some DNA pieces just happen to look like other regions (or something like that). In that case, I could still be 100% Eastern European as I should be. Interestingly enough, according to the reading materials, I have more Eastern European DNA than native Eastern Europeans!! (98% vs. 82%).

The DNA test cannot really pinpoint if my family is from Poland, Lithuania or Belarus, for example. However, all of my known blood relatives prior to arrival in the U.S. were born in Poland; so..........

What's also cool is that, if you want them to, Ancestry.com can scan their database of other Ancestry DNA customers and let you know if you are a scientific DNA match for other members. It will even tell you if the match is close or more distant. I've found a few second cousins this way - confirmed relatives that I already knew about. There are also a few promising leads for other "cousins" who might be able to fill in large sections of the family tree once we are able to figure out who our common genetic ancestor is.

In all, I was pleased with the product. About 15 years ago, we found a family in Poland that shares our uncommon surname and comes from the same region that my family comes from. Looking at photos, their great-uncle and my father bear a striking resemblance. We figure we're related somehow; but, we've not been able to work out the common ancestor. We've kept in touch as "honorary family" all of these years. I went to Poland a few years ago to visit with my mother's side of the family. While there, I got to meet the other family possibly related to my dad's side. They were really great and we're hoping to figure the mystery out some day. Well, part of that mystery is going to be solved shortly. I ordered an extra Ancestry DNA kit and I'm going to send it out to Poland. My "honorary cousin" in Poland agreed to spit into the tube and mail it back to the U.S. Then, using Ancestry DNA's matching feature, we will finally be able to determine if we are blood related or not! It won't tell us who the common ancestor is; but, it will be able to give us a scientific probability of whether or not we are blood-related. I have the extra kit here and plan to mail it out to Poland sometime this week. I will try to remember to come back and let you know how it works out!

True and Constant