View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 03:36 AM
GreekChat Member

My Colorful West Coast Recruitment Story

Hello everyone!! With so many schools in the middle of recruitment right now, I’ve decided to put up my recruitment story ! My school was rather large and on the West Coast. I was a junior transfer but wasn’t worried because I had a high G.P.A and the school that I was going to actually has a large upperclassmen quota. I read blogs and GreekChat stories for months, practically studied what to say and what not to say, and bought the perfect outfits. Once the time came, I knew that I was ready to have a successful recruitment and find my future home!

My school had 12 Panhellenic sororities that year and here were my “thoughts” before starting the week. I realize now that I was influenced a lot with “ranks” and what my friends that had gone to the university before me thought that I should be in. It was a huge mistake on my part to take other people’s opinions as more valid than my own, looking back I wish I had relaxed a lot more during the week and stopped worrying about “tiers.” However, even though I was influenced by “tiers” I was never EVER rude to anyone in the chapters. I felt lucky to be invited into their homes and loved how sweet and welcoming everyone was.

I love colorful pictures and paintings so I’ll name my houses after colors!

RED: I knew about their philanthropy and had worked with an organization similar while I was in high school.
BLUE: This house has (in my opinion) the prettiest house on the row. It’s absolutely gorgeous.
GREEN: This was the newest house and I didn’t think that I would fit in with this chapter.
PINK: I was really excited to meet the women in this chapter. My neighbor was in this chapter at a different school and wrote me a letter of rec. I saw (through Social Media) that they had a lot of cheer/dance girls and it looked really appealing to me as a fellow dancer. One of the main social media accounts had followed me at the beginning of the summer (which now I realize is a big no no), but I felt super excited and special at the time thinking that they wanted me.
ORANGE: This chapter had an amazing philanthropy that was close to my heart.
TURQUOISE: I was really excited to meet this chapter as well. For some reason I just really liked the “vibe” that they seemed to give off on their social media accounts. I had a close friend that was the previous president of her chapter and panhellenic at her school write me a letter of rec. HOWEVER, this chapter had a lot of girls that were friends with my ex-boyfriend. He had gone to the school previously and after a nasty/immature breakup, he became friends with a lot of them. I really hoped that he hadn’t said anything about me that would sway their opinions negatively.
PURPLE: My best friend wrote me a letter of rec for this chapter but I didn’t know much about them.
GREY: This house was known as the sporty house because of all their athletes. While I wasn’t sporty in the least, I still hoped that I would be given a chance haha.
BROWN: I didn’t know anything about this house.
LAVENDER: This was the “top house” on campus. They were all beautiful and poised. A lot of them had amazing internships in the industry that I was hoping to get involved in and I was really excited about the connections that this house could bring.
CYAN: This house didn’t have the best stereotype and was considered the “party” house.
NAVY: This house wasn’t holding formal recruitment this year and their nationals was hoping to rebrand without leaving campus.
Off to day 1!!!

Last edited by elle1776; 08-16-2018 at 03:45 AM.