View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Thank you SKS. I was in a mood last night. I know what you say is true, but it certainly is not the norm. Seems like if we mention to a poster like JLCo that bids can be earned without recs at SEC schools, they automatically assume that their snowflake is special enough to get by without them. Because if YOU were special enough to get a bid without a rec when you went through rush, then their "DD" certainly is too. Know what I mean?
I agree 100%. I absolutely DO NOT recommend going through SEC rush with no (or one) recs if you have any say in the matter. I was completely in the dark about the process when I did it - seriously, think Bill Murray in 'The Man Who Knew Too Little'. JLCo and her daughter now know what they should do in order to maximize the odds of a successful recruitment, and why would you not do everything you could to make the process better for yourself? People apply last-minute to medical school, too, but having been on my medical school's admission committee, I can tell you that those who spend their entire college career preparing tend to do better in the process.

I just don't want last-minute PNMs to read this thread in late July and decide not to go through recruitment at all. You can still rush, but realize that your options may be limited and you will not have all of the same opportunities that a young lady who is well-prepared will have. Looking back now, I'm amazed at how smoothly my recruitment went. I think a large part of it was that I wasn't worried about who invited me back because I had NO preconceived notions about any of the chapters, and that is a very rare state of mind for the current set of PNMs, even those who do not have any Greeks in their families. It's also possible that my mother's friend, having written me the one rec I knew about, could have called her friends from other chapters and had them write recs I knew nothing about. (It happens.)

Last edited by SigKapSweetie; 01-26-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Okay, I have no idea where the winking smiley came from...