View Single Post
Old 07-29-2004, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was a freshmen in Cow College, I wanted to pledge a certain sorority, who we will call ZYX. I didn't rush them because my then-boyfriend told me that they were all dirty hoes. I didn't think he was telling the truth but they all seemed really nice. The next week I watched ZYX sisters geting hazed beyond what I imagined people would do to each other. One of the guys in one of my classes told me to rush Gamma Phi Beta, but I said I didn't want to be in a national sorority because they had stupid rules.

The next semester, I wanted to rush a sorority we will call KLM. I couldn't because of track. Two fraternity guys I knew told me I wouldn't fit in at KLM because I was "too nice" but I knew I wanted to be a KLM and thought that way all summer, even moreso after my boyfriend pledged a fraternity that at the time was dating a lot of KLMs. People kept telling me I wouldn't be a KLM because I'd hate it, and I didn't like what KLM did to their new members, but I wouldn't rush Gamma Phi because they had stupid national rules and I knew what was best.

You all see what letters are in my signature now.

I didn't know what was best for me as a freshman. I was at the wrong college for me and it took me two years to realize that.

LISTEN TO YOUR RHO CHI. One night of sitting through a party at Tri Delt or Gamma Phi when you really wanted to be an Alpha Gam won't kill you. Don't sign a bid card if you don't want to be in that house, but don't drop out of rush before Pref. Give that house another half hour - it could result in making one of the best decisions of your life, and if not, well, your roommate probably taped the OC for you anyway.