View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Same article, I think, but no pay wall:

https://www.usnews.com/news/educatio...k-life-culture

This sort of thing reminds me of an orchestra rehearsal I had earlier this week where my section [1st violins] was just mauling the first movement of a particularly difficult symphony. Not only does it contain some really tough licks, but the rhythms seem to be almost at random, the notes come very quickly, are often waaaay up on the instrument where you have to be very precise and so you have this difficult blend of things happening which make it very difficult to play the thing well. It also goes on for pages and pages. We sounded like a pack of wounded cats I'm sure.

A woodwind player suggested that we practice with metronomes. (explanatory note: if you know what this means, you should lol here because no shit we should practice with metronomes [metronomes are beat boxes which help you keep tempo when practicing])

This seems to be a very similar situation. Sororities have for years offloaded all of their liability onto fraternities. We host all of the functions involving alcohol. We host all of the parties on our properties. Sorority members are always happy to attend.

I'm really not interested in what NPC organizations want to tell us we should be doing regarding reducing our liability unless part of that involves NPC organizations setting their own guidelines for their own members to host functions involving alcohol.

This is like the woodwind player, whose part isn't easy, but it's not all that difficult either, coming up with "helpful" suggestions. Fortunately, we're not in a world where the woodwind player can't help the strings do their job better. Sororities actually could do some things to help offload some of the liability. I didn't see any specifics about what suggestions they were offering and I'm happy to know what suggestions they have, but they are in a position where they could actually help. I won't hold my breath though.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 01-31-2018 at 02:29 PM.