View Single Post
Old 12-05-2001, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Supporting yourself while in college! WTF?

Quote:
Originally posted by SH80er

Question is, why so many 18-22 years support themselves while in college? As if tuition isn't high enough, you have to worry about coming up with more money. Isn't it more convient to live at home or stay in dorm until you graduate? Yeah, yeah I know our parents can be hassles. For me at least, between work, APO, school, church, and other extrecuricular activities I am rarely at home anyways. Am I missing something here?
Well, it may be more "convenient" to live at home or stay in a dorm, but what is convenient is not always best.

I went to college about 4 hours away from where my parents live. I'm glad I did, too. It's not that I don't love my parents (I do) but IMHO, one of the most important things about college is learning to live, more or less, on your own. Even though my parents paid for college, I still learned important things being away from them. Also, living in an apartment instead of a dorm helps prepare you for life in the "real world" where you have to do things like set up electricity and phone service, pay bills, cook and clean up after yourself.

I think that it would be unfortunate to miss out on all these learning opportunities and graduate college never having lived away from your parents. You're behind the curve, then, and lack a lot of the skills that your peers have already been developing for years.