View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
You need to know the mentality behind the lawsuit.

1. They are not suing because they were hazed. They are suing because they were hazed and did not get in. In their minds they did all that "work" and they did not gain membership. Had they gained membership after being hazed they would not have sued.

2. Why they think it is a human rights issue - They were probably raised to think, since birth, that they are to be AKAs. I'm sure their moms in some way made sure these ladies (as children) we part of the "right" social group growing up, and were seen and participated in the "right" functions and activities, all with respect to the AfAm community. This was part of their grooming and preparation to become AKA.

I suspect along the way these moms told their girls that they have the right to live where they want, be anything they want to be, the right to vote, and oh, yes, the "right" to become an AKA.

To compound this issue, they wanted to join AKA through the 100+ yr old Alpha chapter, and in addition to that, a chapter at a HBCU.

---------

This lawsuit is really about those ladies and their moms saving face.
I was reading the comments on that article and they were saying Howard puts a maximum on the number of pledges a group can take and that many many times that number come out as interests. That is a lot like what NPC groups have to go through especially at schools where there are a lot of legacies. Isn't it unusual for NPHC chapters to have a maximum put on them like that? I obviously understand if that can't be answered since I don't want any secret information revealed. I never had heard of a school putting limits down like that.