View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, I got that statistic from the Lambda 10 project and I remember reading it a few other places as well. If it is not accurate, I'm sorry. I did not read anythign about it being skewed.

I don't understand how homophobia is not a real greek problem? and the fact that you refer to gays as 'rump rangers'.... and as far as leaving diversity to the classroom, that doesn't make too much sense, we are college students and there is alot more to oue education than just classes. the real opportunity for learning and living diversity is in student programs and our everyday lives.

I do agree that there are very important issues to deal with inside the greek community, including alcohol abuse, etc. but I feel that getting this topic out there is going to make a more open environment for everyone. and im not expecting a ton of people to come to events or have everyone be okay with GLBT members (we don't even have to know who is or who isn't gay). Its just about the dialogue, letting the GLBT members know about the services the university has for them and who they can go to, as well as lessen one of the streotypes of greeks. I can't do anything about greeks being thought of as alcoholics, hazers, elitists, or whatever other large scale generalizations people make, but I would like to have at least the students at my school feel that the greeks here are willing to talk about the issue and that many are accepting or at least are not hostile towards them.

I did not jump on this thread to argue statistics. I was hoping to get some ideas for my programs as far as speakers etc. Feel free to pm me if you have ideas, as some have already done.

Thank you.