View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
I think that has a lot to do with the majority of students who tend to be attracted to a for-profit institution. Many are bright and motivated, but they have a number of factors stacked against them: first generation college student, working concurrently with school, poor advisement because the only ones in their peer group going to school, and low standards for admission. Some for-profit schools don't require standardized tests scores like the GMAT for admission, so they are lowering the bar whereas those exams might have otherwise weeded or discouraged people who aren't well-suited to the rigors of those programs. Generally, the easier it is to get in, the harder it will be to stay in.

This.

I went to what we could safely class as an "inner city" public high school in a major metro area. We constantly (as in two to three times a year) had hour long free info-mercial style presentations, in class, only from for-profit institutions. The reps went on and on about how traditional colleges "waste your time" with classes you don't need.

It annoyed me then, and it infuriates me now. Traditional colleges got a table in the library, no announcements of their presence, and no hall passes to go and talk to them.

What sort of message are we sending to those students? The message I got as a 17/18 year old was "You're not bright enough for real college" or "This is your only option" or "They'll never accept you". Despite the fact that a number of my peers went to Northwestern, the Air Force Academy, Gonzaga, Pitt, PSU, and a slew of other great SLACs...we only were able to do that by doing our own research, no advising help (Advisers were always available to send you to the military recruiters though.)

Ugh. Sorry. Major thread hijack.