View Single Post
Old 11-14-2015, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Well, no. The sorority has to want to come to your campus in the first place. If it decides your campus is not somewhere it wants to be, you can't do anything about that.

How large are the chapters on your campus? What is total? Where in the social pecking order does the chapter you left fall? Did you leave on good terms?

This is an often used fallacy/excuse for trying to bring on a new chapter. The women in those chapters at other schools aren't going to be at your school. Unless interest in sororities has plummeted due to hazing or other issues across all the chapters, a new group is not going to radically change who rushes - and even if it does initially, it's not a sustainable model. It doesn't matter if the ABC chapter at Other U. is full of Reese Witherspoons if your campus is solely comprised of Kat Von Ds. Reese Witherspoons are not going to magically appear because a new sorority is there.
Most chapters are around 100-150-ish members. The sorority I rushed was lower-top/upper-middle tier (3rd out of the 7). I did leave on good terms- I still have a good relationship with a lot of girls in the sorority and hang out with a lot of them regularly.

I know that obviously the people who are at my school will not change, but considering the number of girls who rush and drop during the pledging process (which is quite a few) because they're looking for something different, as well as a big decline in the top two houses due to repeated hazing issues, plus the fact that there is a pretty big difference between even upper middle and lower middle tier sororities, i feel like there is definitely a niche where a new sorority could fit in and have plenty of interest, especially with the upper tier sororities losing their reputations a bit.

I mean basically, we know the girls who would be interested in this, it's not like we're hoping our campus will magically have a different kind of girl there. we just want a place for those of us who would fall somewhere between the upper and middle tier sororities that currently don't have a fit (because the previous sorority i pledged would be that bridge, except that they are basically the stoner house, that's their thing, and they're not doing much to bridge the gap between the tiers at all)