View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for sharing your story carnation.

If there are any PNM's who are unsure if Greek life is for you, I suggest that you read these stories.

My story also deals with the loss of a family member.

My brother was killed in a car accident in 1992. At the time he was a junior transfer student to Chapman University and was pledging Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. At the time I was living in Orange County and our parents were living in Napa, CA.

My DG pledge sister left her home to come and to sit with me at 1 am. Six hours later she had dropped her infant son at daycare, called in a substitute teacher and drove me between LA and Orange Counties on a series of errands that I had to do that day. That included visiting my parish church, seeing both devastated grandmothers, collecting my brother's belongings from his dorm room and meeting with Chapman University officials.

A few days later, it was my mother's DG pledge sister who came to take charge of his wake after the funeral Mass. Known as an exceptional hostess, she organized the neighbors and friends with food, beverages and flower arrangements. As the weeks passed she and other DGs continued to check in on my our family.

The bonds of sisterhood provided us with the support that we needed throughout an incredibly difficult year.