View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

There was a big change in how it was calculated beginning with last year's senior class. First, they only use your core classes, so you don't get a bonus from that 100 in weight training or honors lunch, and if you failed a class and took it again, the failed grade doesn't get dropped like it used to. Secondly, they used to award a full point for AP or IB classes; now you only get .5 and nothing extra for an A (so the highest you can get is 4.0, even for AP Calculus BC...sucks!). So your school's GPA may be 4.5, but your HOPE GPA would only be 4.0. Our school tells the kids to figure that their HOPE GPA is probably about .5 below their school GPA, so if you have a 3.0 on your report card, chances are you won't have a high enough GPA to get HOPE.

And keeping it is another story altogether. My kids go to Tech. Not exactly generous on the grading scale there (although I always say that it makes sense if you don't want your airplanes falling from the sky or your bridges collapsing). No. 1 daughter is graduating in May and kept it all four years--she can't lose it because she won't come under review again.

Probably more information than anybody wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
I agree that mainly it just doesn't reflect the awards to students for this this fall yet.

I think this actually kicked in a few years ago, but there was also a dip in HOPE grants awarded straight out of high school because the qualifying criteria switched from being an B average that student could meet by having an 80 or above on a percentage grade system to a true 3.0 GPA. I think there were a lot of kids who had 80 averages in high schools whose true GPA was more like a 2.5 because they had half 75 ish grades and half 85-ish grades.

Last edited by NUBlue&Blue; 08-21-2008 at 11:16 PM.