View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Shokiara,

As the other posters have explained to you, sororities value scholarship. There are so many untrue stereotypes about sororities on TV, movies and newspapers. They think that we jump around and party; yet, I don't think people realize how important scholarship is for us. When you say that your GPA "...isn't the best", would you be willing tell us what it is? How borderline of a GPA is it? I imagine that this is important at Mizzou where competition is high.

Also, you have a story very similar to a young man who also posted this morning. Forgive me for repeating myself, but I am going to quote back to you what I just told him --

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that you had some struggles during your freshman year. Is it possible to have any of your previous grades officially withdrawn? If you go to the academic advising center on your campus, you might be able to speak with an academic adviser about whether or not you might qualify for a grade forgiveness/course repeat. That is, say you took a chemistry class and failed it. Then you took the same class again the next semester and earned a "C". You might be able to have the first "F" removed from the record on account of having the second grade be passing. Or, if you had a legitimate health crisis, and have documentation to back it up, you might be able to appeal to have some grades or a whole semester removed/withdrawn. This would improve your GPA significantly.

Even if your campus even offers these types of remedies, they wouldn't be done in time for you to improve your GPA for rush going on right now. BUT, it's still a good idea to check on this nonetheless.

Note: I was an Academic Adviser for a major state university for 8 years. I have counseled thousands of students.

I think the advice also applies to you. Best wishes for a successful semester.

True and Constant