View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΣKΞFounder View Post
And, we are not a store and do not sell anything.
That's not quite accurate. You have to sell membership as something which is desirable. To be able to do that, you need a why. Here's a good TED talk on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMOlfsR7SMQ

That aside, when dealing with municipalities, at least in my home state, YMMV. Some may recognize you as a civic organization. Others, such as the town we have our chapter home in, require Greek orgs to have chapter facilities which are held to the same safety code as multifamily housing. We must, for example, have fire suppression systems installed and at least two ways out of every bedroom and an ADA compliant suite. We also have to be within a certain geographic zone and must be recognized by the school.

Other towns are probably a lot more laissez-faire. If I was in your shoes, I'd get in touch with the town's code enforcement people, explain your situation (probably not a good idea to volunteer your address) and see what they say.

If it comes down to having to make a pitch to some sort of governing body, I'd sure want to be able to answer the "why" question as well as be able to sell yourselves.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma