View Single Post
Old 09-30-2004, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Wood: the "feeling of brotherhood"

I think these quotes from the Alpha Phi Alpha forum are trying to rationalize the beating of pledges, public humiliation, and personal servitude. As long as chaptpers continue to think this way, our days of bad publicity churn on.
------------------------------------

The Revolution is late. We shoulda revolted when the legislators around the country first began defining hazing from only European perspectives. By this I mean things such as: (1) illegal assembly, (2)requiring/forcing prospectives to cut their hair, walk in line, dress alike, do errands/favors for members, and finally exercising. Each of these contribute to the building of character-of those that will become the chapter. They should never have been perceived as acts of hazing. Almost every tribe of people on the continent of Africa has some form of Rites of Passage, and many of these things I've listed are parts of many of them. Therefore; based on this fact, Brothers of EVERY Afro-centric fraternity should have REVOLTED when the legislators first began regulating pledging. Pledging has helped many a person discover themselves by forcing them to boldly face perceived limitations. For many people, it was the beginning of maturation. If the act itself is sooo harmful and wrong, why then does the military continue it as they do without assault from our lawmakers?
---------------
OA I agree with much of your comment. Fraternity no longer builds the bond of years ago partly because of the fear of law suits and partly because of the specific design of in-take. I often wonder why many Brothers don't become active with grad chapters. IMO the link and feeling of brotherhood at the collegiate level did not build the hope, joy and love of Alpha. What would really be radical is for all members of BGLO continue to uphold the promises and commitments when we first crossed. After all, we are only as strong as our weakest link.
---------------
I will catch my brother's slack and share the pain as we take the wood of hood in search of King Solomon's temple!!!
---------------
Hotep Brothers. Help please! Bro. Original Ape I am going to report you to you know who! That is right! I am going to call N-t_on-l_s because you STOOD ME UP and made me go through that newspaper I-P_-S-I_N all over again! I am not gonna quit though, because I was always told by my elders that "Alpha Wood is Good" along w/the theme "Have Wood Shall Travel!" I am a Deuce Quas and believe you have something against me for being a TWO! Bro. Original Ape, "dat ain't wryte!"