View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Clearly this isn't the case where you have a whole Greek system of chapters that are bursting at the seams and 1 who just can't seem to get out of a downward spiral. There are campuses who have this situation and expand anyway. This is 3 of 5 chapters who are not at total. Even if they're only off total by 1, they are still not bursting at the seams.

So disgruntled girl with busy-body gay boyfriend had her heart set on 1, maybe 2 chapters out of 5. And who here is surprised her rush didn't succeed? If any good could have come out of this thread, hopefully a discussion was had to re-think her distaste for the 3 options she does have in front of her.

Changing subject a bit, at least 2 of the 3 chapters who are doing informal took well over quota and are still not at chapter total. As opposed to expansion, I'm wondering if they've thought about reducing chapter total to 85 or so. Having to have an organized rush twice a year is stressful and expensive and if 3 of 5 chapters aren't making it in the first go I'd be looking at that and CERTAINLY not expansion.
This is what I wrote up thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
For what it is worth, it is not unusual for one or more Murray State chapters to have informal recruitment in the spring.

My understanding is that most of the chapters are "right at" or “slightly over” total after fall rush. But after fall graduations, random early alum status, and with members studying abroad, any given chapter may be under total by a few members at the start of the spring semester. But still not enough "overall" to warrant expansion.
And just to expand on that, informal spring recruitment is not viewed as a negative. Most springs, the chapters that participate in informal recruitment end up filling their open spots with friends and/or those who may have been involved in time consuming fall activities - like marching band, fall sports etc.

By the way, I may have missed it, but I don't recall reading that the alleged "disgruntled girl" had rushed before, much less had her heart set on any of the chapters etc.