View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
All I can tell you is I was reading heavy duty literature in the 1000 pages range per book and they were literally sitting there with books aimed at 6 year olds and complaining that they had the same amount of reading to do as I did. I'm not saying the work isn't important. I AM saying that the reading they were complaining about wasn't on education theory. But then I would also add there was more than one girl in this set who were elementary ed majors and had never worked with children. So yeah, maybe not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier to begin with. They got to student teaching and had a major career re-think. Because who knew? Little kids are hard.
Haha. There is a reason why I student taught in grade K and then went on to go into exclusively middle and HS. (Special Ed licensure is K-12 in Ohio so when you do your field hours and student teaching, they try to get you to do a variety - one middle or HS and one elementary.) Little people are hard. Little people in special education settings are even more intense.

The whole "get to student teaching and have a change of heart" thing does not tend to happen at Kent as you are not in the major for the first 2 years. You have to apply to get into the major junior year and it requires experience with children for admission, an interview, an essay, and a 3.6 in your pre-major coursework. It also is one of the most popular majors at the University so the GPA requirement has gone up.

I can tell you that a lot of people start out pre-early ed and switch because they thought getting admitted to the major was going to be easy.

(I was admittedly not an ed major in undergrad, I was an English major so I am very familiar with having 50 to 100 pages to read for a class. I only know of the ECED major from what my colleagues tell me.)

Lakers Nation.