View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi there. This is my first post at Greek Chat and I'm very happy to have found this forum. I enjoyed my time as an active and hope that my daughter will choose to take an interest in Greek life when she heads off to college in two years.

I was a Delta Gamma legacy in 1981. (Please excuse my "ancient" vocabulary ie: rush/pledge.) My mother and her friends are charter members of our chapter. My parents didn't discuss their Greek life with me until my senior year of high school. They let me make the decision to rush. I opted to rush when it came to my attention that my parents' closest friends were the ones they'd bonded with in the late 50's and early 60's through their Greek connections. It is possible that my daughter will be the third generation of our family to attend the same university. Should she choose to rush then she will be a double legacy for Delta Gamma.

My advice is for legacies and their parents. I would encourage you and your legacy to keep an open mind and heart during recruitment. I was aware that other sorority legacies in my rush group were under intense pressure to pledge their family's house. Be aware that chapters can change over time and vary from campus to campus. The group that you loved two or more decades ago might be different now. Let your legacy trust their instincts and make their own choice.

Now the challenge will be for me to take my own advice in the next few years.