View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I don't think you're fully understanding why we're not telling you.

It's not because we're too lazy to type it out.

Why don't we discuss it? Because it perpetuates PNMs going into recruitment without open minds looking at chapters that (if we're being honest) if they KNEW who they were, it wouldn't matter because they probs aren't getting invited back there.

Said "Old Row" groups are such that they have enough legacies in recruitment to fill an entire class. In addition, these chapter members all have friends from camp, HS, etc. that they would like to see invited back. Invites are limited.

Disclaimer: not saying this is what you think, using a hypothetical you here, so don't get offended. Just trying to help you understand where we're coming from.

So let's say we tell you who is considered Old Row and you go into recruitment thinking "I only want these." That hurts you in the long run. Why? Because the women who are going to get invites from these Old Row groups likely aren't the ones who have to come here and ask which they are. They have relationships with members already.

Said Old Row groups tend to have members who know PNMs from other activities whom they know already that they would like to have, leaving few invites for the women who are like "OMG I WANNA BE OLD ROW BECAUSE THEY'RE SUPPOSEDLY THE BEST AND THAT'S WHAT I LIKE, DESERVE BUT DON'T KNOW ANYONE IN THOSE GROUPS!"

So, we tell you who's Old Row, you know who they are, and you've decided that it's all you want. All while they already have a good third of who they want already figured out before you set foot in school (not because they are horrible people, but because they have friends from camp, legacies, high school and hometown friends that they know and love, and there are limited invites.)

Meanwhile, you're missing out on the other awesome groups at UA while you're gunning for the "best" and you don't even realize what you're missing out on because you have Old Row blinders on.

So all of that to say, that's why we don't talk about it. Keep an open mind to everyone and you'll be more likely to find the best chapter for YOU, which isn't always what everyone else considers "best." Recruitment is not a competitive sport.

Good luck and I personally hope you have a great recruitment!

You are pretty smart for a Yankee.