View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightnAiry View Post
I am rushing as a sophomore this fall and I'm incredibly anxious. I have a tendency to think of the worst-case scenarios when it comes to situations like this and all that is filling my mind is that I will end up bidless and released from recruitment.

Even when I remind myself that I'm a pretty good candidate with friends in multiple sororities, I can't help but fear that it will all mean nothing in the end. I bought a new outfit for recruitment and the first thought that ran through my mind was that I might not even need it if I get dropped from every house before I get to that night. I'm freaking myself out.

Does anyone have experience with this and have suggestions for quelling this sorority catastrophic thinking?
Actually, yes I do. Once upon a time, when God was a baby, I used to do that kind of crazy thinking about stuff. It was nuts. So here's my advice:

STOP.

I suspect the catastrophic thinking isn't restricted to sorority recruitment, as you referenced in your first paragraph; it would be beneficial to get some counseling and change this behavior. It's possible to do so. And it will make your life a lot easier and more enjoyable. I speak from first-hand experience.

Now, for the love of Mike, stop obsessing. NOW. Go out and do things for other people. It really does get your mind off yourself and your perceived problems when you are helping others. That is a fact, Jack.

I wish you the very best of luck and I hope you actually figure this out and enjoy recruitment!