View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwu43 View Post
Oy, looks like this thread is starting branch out into two topics already haha

I'm gonna have split this post.

First, good job Nate in your efforts to bring us together! I'm a bit disappointed/puzzled as to why our nationals rejected or declined to be a part of NAPA. Unfortunately when it comes to the politics of our organization, I really have no idea what's going on. I guess part of the problem are Asians like me who cannot stand all this business and just choose to stay out of it . I agree with your views but I really do not know what I can do. Mostly, I'm concerned with fulfilling my role as step-master and trying to keep the brotherhood in my chapter tight. My reasons for wanting to educate other chapters about step are as much because I don't want them to ruin our reputation (and that I hate it when people steal or copy in general) as because I don't like the idea of them stepping without knowing anything about it. Fortunately, most bros in my chapter are more ambitious than me . I'll ask the president and midwest lieutenant governor about this issue, maybe get them to register for Greekchat (I'm starting to like this place more and more), though I really don't know how much we can do, as lambdas in the Midwest have very little power in influencing national decisions.

Also, I crossed the same time as you. We're syands
(hooters #43, spr2k4, Northwestern Univ)

------------

Anyways, back to step again, I was wondering if you guys could help me out with specifics i.e., what are signature or unique styles that different Orgs are known for and what kind of things we should avoid (partly because I want to make something new right now, and partly because it's also very interesting )
----
What I know so far (and correct me if I'm wrong!):

APhiA - A-train. Anything with hats?

KAPsi - Canes

Phi Beta Sigma - I'm not sure. I saw two step shows where one guy does a frontal handspring and ends up on top of another guy who is standing? Is that a unique move?

Iota Phi Theta - Some told me something about centaur walk? Though I'm not sure what it is.

Omega Psi Phi- the omega hop

Also, I think I saw a step where steppers would split into pairs, and within each pair each individual's leg was tied to another's leg so they had to step in unison with each other. It was quite amazing! Does anyone know which Greek org does that?
---
I've never seen step from Latino fraternities, so I have no idea what they do

Finally, there are moves or props that I used to think were universal but now I'm not sure. Just to be on the safe side, are the following unique to any Greek organization or are they incorporated into step by everyone?:

-Using chairs as props?

-A move where steppers would hop on one foot, kick with the other, and flail their arms wildly while making the sound "Ah, Ah, Ah"

-The move where steppers would make a "brushing sound" with their teeth while making movements that look like they're brushing off their uniforms? I used to think it was a universal thing (and a lot of our West Coast chapters incorporate that into their step), but so far I've only seen Alphas do it.

Again THANKS
A good movie for you to watch on the topic of creating a new style for stepping is the movie "Stomp the Yard." While I didn't much care for the movie because not everything was completely accurate and because it didn't give a good look into all the traditions of the D9 (including the monumental amount of service we do/have done), it is a good example of how non D9 greeks can create their own style or signature for stepping. The producers of the movie are Alphas so they were careful to stay away from D9 signature steps in creating the 2 fictional BGLO fraternities. Using the basic/foundational moves of stepping, the choreographers were able to create different steps and incorporate them with hip hop dance and the mascots, symbols, etc. of the fictional fraternities. If you haven't seen it yet, it will be out on DVD in May. I remember earlier that you said your org has a step they do with kendo sticks. Maybe using the kendo sticks in most of your steps, can be your signature. Just a thought.