View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Bug! View Post
It isn't as if the counselors are running around camp with their letters on, but this becomes a great way to meet people outside your hometown/high school whom you will run into again (or even become a sister of) at college.
Actually, they do. All those party shirts and rush tank-tops? Perfect items to throw in the bag to wear all summer while being a camp counselor. Hats, visors, socks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
In addition to this, if you attend camp for most of your childhood up through high school, then you will have had sufficient time to know the girls 1-2 years older than you that also attend that same camp every year. By the time you get to college, those girls may be actives on your campus.
Not to mention that by the time you've gone through all of this many of the older girls have become dear friends. You've lived with them for a month out of each year for the last 8 summers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I'm not from a big SEC school, but I have posted about this very thing before.

There are exceptions, but I feel like the majority of girls who come to GC for advice are not really prepared in the netowrking sense for the type of school they're heading to.

Many times, they aren't children of Greeks, or they don't come from an area where many people go Greek in college. They don't go to HS where everyone graduates and goes Greek. They don't go to camp. People in their church aren't Greek.

So their parents fish out info on GC. Great. There is a lot of info here about the tangibles (grades, recs, activities) but not as much about conversation, networking, etc. So parents pass on info about tangibles or PNMs read up on it. They have all of the tangible stuff down pat (grades, recs, et.) So they figure they're golden, right? Not so much.

By nature of not knowing anyone who is greek, being a first gen. college student, being from out of state, or a small town, they are already at a disavantage at some of the bigger Greek schools no matter what tangible things they may have.

For example, let's say that ABC at Big Southern University has 100 members (not using big numbers because I'm tired.) Each of them personally knows 2 PNMs from church/camp/high school/etc. that they think would make great ABCs.

100 x 2 = 200 women that they vouch for and really want back for next round.

For the next round, they can only invite back say, 300. Out of that 300, there are 200 girls with personal connections whom members already know of and want.

Assuming that all 200 of those are issued and invite, that leaves just 100 spots for "newer" PNMs whom no one has heard of prior to recruitment.

My point is that personal connections are very important.

This is not to say that if you send Suzie to an all Greek staffed summer camp, she's a shoo-in. But those PNMs who have attended camp, lived in the same neighborhood, gone to HS, and played softball since 6th grade with sorority members (and have developed relationships with them) do have an advantage.

This is just rambling, but feel free to flame, correct me, whatever.

Pretty much spot-on here. Many of these people know these girls on a really deep personal level before summer (before college) begins because of all these connections. I'd contend that in some chapters, you take that 200 number and raise it almost to 300. Throw in some "unknown" legacies that you'd like to keep your eye on, and you're up to your 300 very quickly.

That's also why someone who is believed to be a "grade risk" might go further in a certain chapter than someone who isn't. Doesn't happen a whole ton, but girls who are well known can "be vouched for" just generally do better. Is it fair? No, sadly, it's not.

Can it work against you if you're Annoying Annie at camp/school/softball? Yes, but more often than not it works in the PNM's favor.

Last edited by shirley1929; 08-26-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added: (before college)